What is Metabolic efficiency testing (MET)?
MET is a test that measures your oxygen (O2) consumption and carbon dioxide (CO2) production to determine your caloric burn and your ratios of fat and carbohydrate utilisation.
The tests are done at rest, and during exercise using either a bike or treadmill. The exercise test will start easy and gradually increase in intensity until you reach your VO2max (your maximum ability to use oxygen to produce energy). The latter will provide your fuel utilisation at progressive intensity levels and / or power output.
Metabolic Efficiency Testing (MET) includes Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) and/or VO2 max and submaximal exercise testing. Simply put, RMR helps to determine how many calories you burn at rest (i.e. how many calories your body needs just to stay alive), while VO2 max reveals how many calories you burn at different exercise intensities/heart rates, and how many calories come from fat versus carbs.
If you’re doing the RMR test, this is completed sitting or laying down and takes about 10-15 minutes; while the VO2 max exercise testing is performed on a bike or treadmill and starts at an easy pace, with intensity gradually building over about 15-20 minutes.
How can MET help me?
- Discover any metabolic dysfunctions
- Determine your current preferential fuel source - are you a sugar or fat burner?
- Develop an efficient fuelling plan and plan your race or event to avoid "hitting the wall"
- Learn your specific training zones to fine tune your training and improve your fat burning ability and endurance, as well as improve performance
- Retest post nutrition and training intervention to see how your metabolism has been transformed
- A holistic solution to a better lifestyle for any individual - athlete or not
MET testing is now performed at Performance Physio Group in North Ward (The Stanton Centre, 31 Leichardt street Qld 4810).
Please contact Performance Physio Group North Ward to book your MET test on (07) 4722-3888. You may also qualify for a rebate through your private health fund.